Homeowner's Guide to Permitting

ANYONE who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy type of a building or structure or erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, regulated by the Town of Youngtown adopted codes, must first obtain a permit for such work.

Community Development is dedicated to assisting residents in successfully completing their home improvement projects. We realize that homeowners want not only to improve the look of their home, but also its value. In order to achieve this, the homeowner must first apply for a building permit.

The application for this permit will allow the project to be reviewed to the currently adopted codes. After the review has been completed and approved, a permit may be issued and the construction and inspection process may begin. Once the inspection process has been completed the additional assessed value can be added to the previous value of the property.

If you are still not sure, please feel free to call 623-933-8286 X 200.

Obtaining a Permit 
If the homeowner of the property is the occupant at the time of submitting plans for review to obtain a permit and has no intention of renting or selling their property, they can pull the Building Permit. Available to Owner-Builder is a declaration form that is required to be signed and dated specifying that the homeowner complies with the state law requirement of occupying the home. You may do the work yourself, or have a friend or family member help you with your project.

Construction drawings will be required at the time of submittal for a permit. If you, as the homeowner, are only seeking information on how to obtain a permit for your project; then you may only be required to provide a sketch of the project you intend to build. The type of project you desire to build will determine the type of plans you will be required to submit.

In some cases you may not require plans; however, the “permit” may be limited to the information that is filled out on the building permit application. Please call the Building Inspector to help you determine this at 623-933-8286 ext. 200.

If the homeowner is not the primary occupant of the home, then the homeowner is required to have the work done by a contractor licensed by the Arizona Registrar of Contractors who will assume responsibility for the work.

How Much Does A Permit Cost?
This depends on the type of project. Community Development can assist you with determining the cost of obtaining a permit for your project. Some project fees are stated in the Town’s approved Fee Schedule. Building Permits and Plan Reviews require two separate fees. You will be required to pay both fees before a permit is issued. The Plan Review Fee, paid at the time of submittal, covers two reviews. If more than two reviews are needed, the Town will charge you by the hour for each additional review at a rate currently approved and listed in the plan review fee schedule.